The e-learning industry has traditionally relied on SCORM to track user performance across training modules. The standardisation of tracked data allows content to move seamlessly between different learning management systems.
As training content has evolved from typical e-learning (answering multiple choice questions, or watching videos) into more complex experiences such as simulated learning or game based experiences the standard for tracking performance has had to modernise.
xAPI is a new industry standard allowing more nuanced tracking and evaluation suitable for these types of experiences.
Cassette have now developed the xAPI Unreal Engine plugin as an extension to this library, based in C++.
WHY DEVELOP THIS PLUGIN?
Cassette is dedicated to the development of training and educational experiences using technologies such as immersive web, game engines, metaverse tech, VR and AR.
Use of these technologies enables the delivery of high fidelity, simulated training content at scale, resulting in better training, accessible for all.
In developing a training programme for Baxter – a VR and web based training system for Dialysis machines – we discovered no integration with xAPI and set about a custom build for our training application.
THE xAPI UNREAL ENGINE PLUGIN
Now, with funding from an Epic MegaGrant and support from Rustici software to ensure adherence to xAPI standards Cassette has launched the plugin into the Unreal Marketplace complete with step-by-step guides for connecting to or sending statements to an LRS.
View the plugin here:
And how to videos here:
APPENDIX - THE BENEFITS OF xAPI OVER SCORM
xAPI (Experience API), also known as Tin Can API, offers several advantages over SCORM:
1. Enhanced Tracking and Reporting: xAPI provides more comprehensive and granular tracking capabilities compared to SCORM. While SCORM is limited to tracking specific activities within an LMS, xAPI allows tracking of a wide range of learning experiences beyond the LMS. It can capture data from various sources such as simulations, mobile devices, social media platforms, virtual reality environments, and more. This enables organizations to gather detailed insights into learner behaviours and performance across multiple learning platforms and activities.
2. Real-Time Data and Analytics: xAPI enables real-time data collection and reporting, allowing organisations to access immediate insights into learner activities and performance. The data collected through xAPI statements can be analysed using advanced analytics tools to gain deeper understanding and actionable insights. This real-time information empowers instructors and administrators to make timely adjustments to learning content, identify knowledge gaps, and personalise learning experiences.
3. Flexible Content Delivery: Unlike SCORM, which primarily focuses on traditional course-based content delivery, xAPI offers flexibility in delivering learning experiences. With xAPI, learning content can be delivered in smaller, discrete learning objects called "statements." These statements can be sequenced or combined dynamically to create personalised and adaptive learning pathways. xAPI supports non-linear and informal learning scenarios, allowing learners to explore content in a more flexible and interactive manner.
4. Cross-Platform and Cross-System Compatibility: xAPI is designed to work across different platforms, devices, and systems. It is not limited to a specific LMS, making it easier to integrate with various learning technologies and tools. xAPI allows seamless tracking and sharing of learning experiences across multiple systems, including LMSs, mobile apps, simulations, games, and virtual reality environments. This interoperability and cross-platform compatibility enable organisations to create a cohesive and connected learning ecosystem.
5. Future-Proof and Scalable: xAPI is designed to be future-proof and scalable, accommodating emerging technologies and learning approaches. It is built using a flexible and extensible data model, allowing organisations to capture and store any type of learning experience data. This adaptability ensures that organisations can leverage new and evolving learning technologies and innovations without being constrained by outdated specifications.
6. Personalised and Adaptive Learning: With its ability to capture rich and varied data about learner experiences, xAPI supports personalised and adaptive learning approaches. Organisations can use xAPI data to deliver tailored learning content based on individual learner preferences, performance, and needs. This personalisation enhances learner engagement, improves knowledge retention, and promotes a more effective learning experience.
Overall, xAPI offers more advanced tracking capabilities, real-time analytics, flexibility in content delivery, cross-platform compatibility, and support for personalised learning. It enables organisations to capture, analyse, and leverage a broader range of learning experiences, making it a powerful tool for modern and innovative e-learning solutions.